WHAT WE DO
Services Provided by WFF
Emergency assistance comes in the form of advocacy in most cases. Whether it is by contacting our clients’ lenders, utility companies, medical providers, funeral homes or other creditors, Working Families’ Friend helps to alleviate the client’s financial challenge or insures that they receive the services or financial assistance they need. We perform services such as:
• Advocate on behalf of people who are facing a crisis but do not have the time or tenacity to fight for themselves
• Help people problem-solve and direct them toward real solutions
• Provide emergency financial assistance. Only in extreme cases, and only if the assistance we can provide will effectively address the client’s need.
• Train representatives in the workplace to recognize valid issues with co-workers and help them appropriately address their challenges before they become crisis situations
Every year Working Families’ Friend assists thousands of individuals and families struggling when faced with a one-time crisis. The majority of these people are working and supporting their families, and are served through advocacy, information or a referral provided by Working Families’ Friend staff. Often working people do not have the time or access, during business hours, to identify the best resources in the community to address their current need or situation. Our staff is here to assist with those needs. Occasionally people are in need of emergency financial assistance but do not qualify for traditional social service assistance due to their current income level. We do not have any geographic, demographic, or income requirements. When we provide financial assistance, we work hard to ensure that the need is valid, that our resources can effectively meet the client’s needs, and the assistance provided is used for the intended purpose.
Working Families’ Friend provides a unique service to the community. We do not assist the chronically needy. Many social services serve that part of the population. We assist working or recently unemployed individuals and their families who are not destitute and cannot qualify for this type of assistance through other traditional emergency assistance programs.
We believe that by providing assistance before a family is forced into economic hardship due to their inability to face an unexpected financial burden, we can help maintain a healthy and productive workforce which has a direct bearing on maintaining a healthy and productive community, from which everyone benefits.
Who We Help
The people we serve have some things in common:
• They work for a living and support themselves and their family
• They have experienced an unexpected crisis or emergency
• They have depleted their personal savings and resources
• They have never needed to ask for help before
• They were told by other social service agencies that they don’t qualify for help
• They are referred to us by a trained Community Counselor who has validated their need
• Their need can be effectively met by the resources we have available or can identify
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE,
CONTACT ONE OF OUR COMMUNITY COUNSELORS AT YOUR JOB SITE OR PLEASE DIAL 2-1-1 TO CONTACT UNITED WAY FOR HELP